Guidelines for the Film Analysis projects:
Assignment 1: Shot-by-shot analysis.
- Guidelines and sample here.
- Links to other examples:
Assignment 2: Formal Analysis
Guidelines for Assignment 2 (formal analysis).
Resources on “The Male Gaze”:
- Laura Mulvey, “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema” (pdf)
- An extremely helpful guide to Mulvey and the male gaze, including a wonderful glossary of terms. By Virginia Bonner: http://a-s.clayton.edu/vbonner/courses/cms4320/readings/mulveystudyguide.html
- A helpful guide to Mulvey’s main points posted by Prof. Gershovich at Baruch: http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/eng3940h/2010/02/17/a-distillation-laura-mulveys-visual-pleasure-and-narrative-cinema/
- “Notes on ‘The Gaze'” by Daniel Chandler: http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/gaze/gaze09.html